CFP, SPEAKER AND AUTHOR
Arlene Cogen, CFP
Arlene is a motivational and inspirational speaker on charitable giving and philanthropy. Her presentations provide a fresh and inspiring perspective on charitable giving. When speaking on behalf of your organization, Arlene motivates and engages attendees to make a charitable gift they never imagined. Her approachable manner and extensive experience provide for an energized event.
Arlene is the bestselling author of GIVE TO LIVE: Make A Charitable Gift You Never Imagined. In plain language, Arlene Cogen educates readers on the benefits and rewards of charitable giving during life, and through their estate plan. She breaks giving down into bite-sized, understandable pieces. Poignant real-life stories show how to solve family and financial issues with a charitable twist. Through personal reflection prompts, readers begin to create their philanthropic plan.
Arlene is a Certified Financial Planner who began her career on Wall Street. She spent over 20 years in the trust and investment world, helping people grow and preserve their wealth. During that time, she was a Vice President for Citibank, Bank of America (formerly US Trust), and Wells Fargo (formerly First Union).
Desiring change and wanting to lead by example for her daughters, Arlene then moved to Portland, Oregon to help guide the Oregon Community Foundation (OCF), the ninth-largest community foundation in the country. Focused on educating the benefits of charitable giving to professional advisors, her efforts over the next decade resulted in the acquisition of 30-40 % of all giving annually statewide.
As a writer and influencer, Arlene has contributed articles to AdviseHer, HorsesMouth, and The Portland Business Journal. National publications that have quoted Arlene include Investor’s Business Daily, AARP, and FinancialPlanning.com. Over 30 national and international podcasts, including Better Money Decision, Richer Soul, Successful Generations, Financial Gravity, Life Planning 101, and Gaining Perspective have sought Arlene’s deep experience and advise for the benefit of their listeners.
Arlene serves on the Board of the Portland Estate Planning Council and the Oregon Chapter of The National Speakers Association. She is an active member in Women in Insurance and Financial Services, The Financial Planning Association, Northwest Planned Giving Roundtable, Toastmasters, and The Jewish Federation of Greater Portland.
Arlene has a bachelor’s degree in business from Rochester Institute of Technology.
Certified Financial Planner
- Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. (1997—Present)
John Maxwell Coach, Trainer and Speaker
- John C. Maxwell Team, Inc. (2015—Present)
21/64 Multigenerational Philanthropy Facilitator, Trainer and Coach
- 21/64 Philanthropy Consulting (2014—Present)
- Estate Planning Council of Portland, Board member and past seminar chair
- The Commons Law Center – Advisory board
- Oregon Philanthropic Advisors Network – Advisory council
- Northwest Planned Giving Roundtable – Member, past treasurer, past secretary, past conference committee
- Willamette Valley Development Officers – Planned Giving Affinity Group instructor
- Jewish Federation of Greater Portland – Pathway partner
- Advisors in Philanthropy – Member
- Financial Planning Association – Member
- National Speakers Association – Member
- Partnership for Philanthropic Planning – Member
- Toastmasters International – Member
- Hadassah National Leadership Award, April 2002
- Jewish Women’s Round Table Song of Miriam Award, June 2003
Book: Give To Live
Buy the Book
This is a love story about your finances, taking care of family and making a difference. Whether you are new to charitable giving or simply keen to improve your understanding of giving and philanthropy, this is your book. It will free you from the haze of the complicated jargon, break things down in understandable terms and share ways to effectively and meaningfully include philanthropy in your life.
Customize the Book
Autographed and customized copies available.
Give to Live is a perfect gift. Autographed and branded copies available. Options include your logo, forward, and own chapter of stories.
What They Say
"Our team has always appreciated your professional expertise in helping us help our clients to connect the most effective strategies and tools with their heartfelt support of what matters to them."
– Patrick J Green, Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine, LLP
"Arlene Siegel Cogen is a true professional. Her infectious personality and deep knowledge of charitable gift planning make her an absolute pleasure to work with. Ever since I arrived in Portland eight years ago she has been a wonderful resource, advocate, and friend."
– Marc Blattner, President and CEO, Jewish Federation of Greater Portland
"I had the pleasure of working with Arlene for several years when she was with The Oregon Community Foundation, and she clearly “gets” the world of philanthropy."
– Jeffrey C. Thede, Partner, Thede, Culpepper, Moore, Monroe & Silliman, LLP of Greater Portland
"I have had the privilege of knowing Arlene for many years. I find her to be warm, compassionate, fun with a no-nonsense personality. She is knowledgeable in her field of expertise and is a thoughtful, strategic thinker. It has been my pleasure to have her coach my colleagues as well as introduce her to my clients. I will look forward to working with Arlene throughout the years to come."
– Michelle Castano Garcia, Principal, Northwest Investment Counselors